To understand how microplastics break down, move through the oceans and collect on coastlines, researchers and community monitoring groups must quantify a robust set of particle size parameters. Saturna is a portable, standardized image collection system used to rapidly quantify and analyze microplastic physical attributes.
Saturna is a standardized imaging and illumination device that plugs in to your computer and syncs with Mariana, our web-based analysis data portal, to perform rapidly characterize and quantify visible microplastic particles. Use it to collect a robust set of size, color and categorical metrics for visible microplastic samples (>400μm) like those collected from Manta trawls, neuston nets, beach quadrat samples and community studies.
- Highly standardized built-in LED lighting system provides consistent and reproducible lighting for your microplastic samples
- Compatible with any Windows PC and operated using our Mariana data portal
- Provides physical size, color and categorical data for all microplastics imaged
- Computer pattern recognition and sizing algorithms calculate 11 discrete size calculations for every particle
- Predictive color models calculate repeatable and standardized average color calculations for each particle
- Machine learning models in development automatically classify your particles into common categories such as fragments, pellets, lines, films and foams
- Compare your samples over spatial areas using our Mariana data portal for further insight and sample analysis
- Applicable for classifying microplastics' physical size, color and categorical characteristics